An easy soup to make, you'll also love the fact that the soup version has far fewer calories than the aforementioned creamy vegetable side dish because the thickness comes from the potatoes, not heavy cream. I had some leftover Irish Soda Bread (the second recipe from last week, which stayed fresh in a sealed plastic baggie) and I paired it with the soup for dinner tonight.
My soup days may soon come to an end, there is a promise of 70 degree weather by the weekend but there are so many spring and summer dishes to look forward to! This one tastes great, give it a try.
Pureed Spinach-Potato Soup
2 tablespoons unsalted buter
1 onion cut into small pieces
3 garlic cloves minced
5 small Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into smal pieces
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cans chicken broth
1 large cello bag spinach (or two small) washed and dried
Kosher salt and pepper
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat adding onions, potatoes and garlic.
- Pour wine, broth and 2 cops of water into pan while stirring. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft and tender
- Stir spinach into pan and cook until wilted.
- Using a blender work in two batches pureeing soup until smooth.
- To serve: put soup back into saucepan and heat.
- Add salt and papper to taste
I swirled some buttermilk in mine for photographic purposes.