The first thing you might notice if you compare the photo with the headline is that the pasta is not whole wheat. True! I made a substitution for photo purposes only but this is being consumed with the heart healthy whole wheat penne.
My husband ordered this dish in a restaurant in Maplewood, New Jersey called the Village Trattoria. It's a tiny but busy place and we often stop in while visiting my sister and her family who live in the town. The food is excellent if you are ever in the area. For Christmas, my sister is charged with bringing their penne vodka which has become a family favorite. A link to the restaurant is attached and I noticed that there are two other New Jersey locations.
Chicken and portobello mushrooms when cooked naturally produce a brown gravy of sorts but I added a few things to it spice it up ... my natural inclination to 'oversalt' has been curtailed. This was easy, inexpensive and makes a nice pasta alternative especially for the summer. Serve it with a salad ( and whole wheat bread of course) and you won't be disappointed!
Chicken Portobello With Whole Wheat Pasta
3 skinless chicken breasts not pounded
3 large portobello mushrooms sliced
4 cloves garlic minced
6 cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
6 carrots sliced (circles)
1/4 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup olive oil
Dash of oregano and basil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to large frying pan and heat.
- Add minced garlic and sauté until tender
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes and carrots and sauté until vegetables are cooked but crisp.
- Remove from frying pan with slotted spoon and put aside.
- Cut 1" wide strips of chicken, add to pan and cook in Marsala wine until done.
- Cook i pound of whole wheat pasta al dente.
- Drain and put pasta in large serving bowl. Place vegetables on top then add chicken.
- Top with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese