Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Love my New 'Love'; If You LOVE A Bargain, Head to Your Local 'Home Goods' Store


Who doesn't love a bargain? I'm always on the hunt and rarely pay full price for anything from a store. One of my favorite bargain spots is Home Goods. Home Goods is a division of TJ Maxx and most communities have an outlet nearby. The store is a great source for home decor and other home necessities like sheets, towels and cookware.

http://www.homegoods.com/index.asp

A couple of months ago I was perusing the clearance aisles in our local Home Goods. I came across a wood piece with four letters spelling LOVE. It was painted barn red and not particularly attractive. The piece was hinged in the middle which led me to believe it was intended to sit on a tabletop. I thought it would work better as a wall hanging and had the perfect place for it.

When we redid our kitchen a couple of years ago I opted out of a granite back splash behind the stove top. I thought I'd rather see a piece of art and had a vision of something free form and fun.I  found a fish carving in the same store not too long after the completion of the kitchen and it's been hanging there for a while.

I like it but when I saw the LOVE plaque, I knew I could do something fun with it to replace the fish. My plan was to paint it white, actually a bit off-white to match the trim in the room and then paint a design with colors to match the kitchen decor.

It was an easy project. I used 'kill' paint first to minimize the red color, then gave it two coats with a white semigloss. Today, I traced scalloped flower shapes in three sizes on the piece and painted them shades of turquoise, darker blue and bright green. I threw in an orange color because it makes a nice accent color for my kitchen.

Now all I have to do is hang it and my custom and cheerful project changes the look of the room.

Did I mention how much this LOVE sign cost? It was $1.00! Don't you LOVE it?

1 comment: