Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Targeting 'Target': In Praise of the Dollar Table


  Seriously, who doesn't love shopping at Target? Not only have they attracted some great designers (Mizrahi, Graves, Gaultier to name a few) for their clothing and housewares departments and not only do they have a great greeting card and gift wrap selection but they have the best 'dollar' table around! Okay, it's really more of a dollar corner and some of the products cost maybe $2.00 but really there's no other store that compares.
  Over the years I've collected a lot of stuff, most of it cleverly hidden from my husband who wouldn't understand or see the hidden potential in this odd miscellanea. But now that I have some time (and I'm actually cleaning closets and uncovering some things I squirreled away) I decided to make Target my post for today and also a continuing series as I complete more projects. 



A Cornucopia of Containers
  Containers are a big item in my world. I like to creatively wrap a gift to make an ordinary purchase seem less so and containers are great when you're gifting food items. Fresh baked cookies, muffins or snack foods look better when they're in a colorful tin or box sealed with a ribbon and a fresh or dried flower to complete the package.  The plastic satchel pictured here can be filled with a towels, sunscreen and flip-flops for a child's summer gift or a friend vacationing at the shore. I also like the galvanized steel-look pails. 

Great for an outdoor party table filled with nuts, chips or plastic cutlery. 



Thank You Very Much......
  I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and wanted to write thank you cards. Not a problem! I found 2 packets of hot pink, scalloped edged notecards (8 to a pack) with pink envelopes. The shiny surface which smears ink from an inkjet printer (I know, I tried!) precluded 
me from personalizing by running them through my computer. So I turned to my collection of what I call 'doo-dads' (many items also from the Target dollar section) and I made some fun cards using ribbons, rhinestones and foam cutouts. 



 But Wait, There's More.....
  From time to time they have small children's story books, coloring books and crayons, garden
ing supplies, toys and baby items like socks and hats This patriotic straw hat was in the dollar section right
 before the 4th of July holiday....I don't know about you but I'm thinking Tom Sawyer! 
  
  Maybe the best part is that this treasure-trove changes with the seasons and never disappoints. Each Target store has one of these and they're usually located near the front of the store. I asked a customer service representative how often the dollar section was replenished and was there a special day that the items came in. She assured me that trucks arrive nightly so there you have it, lots of new stuff every day!.  Pay Target a visit and let me know what you find!


Tomorrow: Mini Black and White Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment