Tuesday, January 25, 2011

All-in-One Hanging Wrapping Center; Can Organization Be Far Behind? Bring On The Birthdays!

A couple of months ago, when I was creating my wrapping center from an old piece of baby furniture (see August 1st post), my son-in-law suggested that I make an all-in-one hanging wrapping center that he saw in the Container Store for readers who didn't have a spare piece of furniture hanging around. I'm just getting around to it.

It's a pretty simple design, perfect for an apartment or small home and I had wanted to create something that wouldn't be too difficult or expensive.

While shopping in Target, I came across a king-sized brown quilted coverlet and I thought of using the fabric for a couple of projects: the long-awaited hanging wrapping center being one. When I opened the package today, I discovered two quilted sham covers in exactly the size I needed. Since the shams were two sided, my work was cut in half. Easy, yes! And the king sized coverlet was still intact for my future projects.

The wrapping paper holder took about one hour to make and requires the use of a sewing machine but the final product holds 8 rolls of paper. well-protected to prevent tears, and three roomy pockets to hold scissors, tape, cards or ribbons.

Here's what you'll need to get started: 

  • Two quilted king-sized shams with opening on end, not center). (if you don't want to buy the whole bed set like I did, check stores like Home Goods for individual shams.)
  • Thread
  • Pins
  • Scissor
  • 3 large buttons
  • 3 elastic pony tail bands
  • 2 yards grosgrain ribbon (optional)
  • One heavyweight hanger
Directions:
The final product
  • Remove binding on open end of sham using a seam ripper or nail scissor, reserve to place around hanger opening.
  • Cut second sham in half and cut a 2 inch x 4 inch hole in the center of one piece.
  • Use reserved binding to trim opening.
  • Sew one end of the cut sham to the larger uncut sham leaving opening on lining.  
  • Sew three seams on the main sham top to bottom creating pockets for the rolls of paper (each should hold 2 rolls of large wrapping paper.)
  • At bottom, sew the remaining half of second sham to main piece folding to lining side. Finish cut edge with seam or ribbon and sew two seams to create smaller pockets sewing side seams as well.
  • At top, flap over the hanger section. Sew three ponytail holders to sides and center adjusting for length.
  • Sew three large buttons on main piece corresponding to the elastic. 
  • Insert hanger and fasten elastic to buttons to close.
Pony tail holder attached to 
buttons creates top flap
Bottom flap holds miscellaneous 
wrapping supplies













I trimmed my buttons and hanger opening with grosgrain ribbon. It actually holds quite a bit and in the end cost very little to make. 


No comments:

Post a Comment