Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Homemade Pizza: Can An Irish Girl Get It Right? Revealing My Secret Ingredient

My pizza with bacon topping.
Living in Staten Island where there's a great pizzeria on practically every corner can be intimidating for those of us who like to make their own, and, er, that'd be me. I am am American first of course, but of Irish extraction and along with husband whom is half Irish, half Italian we've eaten enough pizza in our lifetime to know good from bad.

I started making my own pizza as a quick, easy and inexpensive dinner and also to keep a vow I made a couple of years ago to order less take-out.

Pizza dough is a pretty common item in Italian delis and most supermarkets but I think pizzerias also will sell their raw dough if you ask. The dough costs about $2-2.50, a real bargain. All you'll need after that is some olive oil, mozzarella cheese, miscellaneous toppings and my secret ingredient: Costco's Pesto in a jar. This product is exceptional (in my opinion) and the next best thing to making your own pesto. I use in in many of my recipes.


Here's how to make pizza:
  • Let pizza dough rise until doubled in size.
  • Using a floured surface, roll dough to a circle of rectangle, depending on the pan you'll use.
  • Spread a light coating of olive oil on the pan while preheating the over to 400 degrees.
  • Place rolled dough onto the pan, stretching to fit. Spread a thin layer of pesto on the surface.
  • Add shaved mozzarella cheese
  • Here's where you can get creative: 
  • Add your choice of meat (meatballs, sausage, pepperoni, bacon, cooked chicken) on top or if you prefer vegetarian add tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, onions....whatever you prefer (or all for a true 'garbage pizza)
  • Top with some fresh Grated Parmesan cheese, drizzling a small amount of olive oil over that.
  • Pop in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (keep your eye on the pizza, it cooks fast!).
  • Serve warm and cut with a regular pizza cutter.

That's about it. your home will have a delicious scent and the pizza will be fresh and fantastic!
Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment