Monday, September 27, 2010

Hanging Art: I Finally Begin

BEFORE




In a July 26th post I detailed my commitment problem when it comes to hanging art. But with renewed vigor and a boost from a great article in last Thursdays NY Times (see link) I decided to act. http://www.nytimes.com/pages/garden/index.html

As with most of my projects, by the time I get around to doing them I lose or misplace the items needed...and this was the case today. One of my main projects (aside from this one) is organizing the house, garage, basement and attic...a daunting task! In my efforts in this area, I've actually isolated 4-5 boxes of frames and art that have been hanging (actually not hanging) around for more years than I care to admit. 

So my project for today was to tackle a triangular shaped wall leading downstairs from the upper level of my house part of which is a nice sized loft area where we watch TV. The one piece I knew I was hanging was a framed rectangular drawing of the Verrazano Bridge and it was also the one piece that I actually knew where it was. I also had two wood sconces painted a distressed silver. I could only find one though I tripped over both of them for the better part of four years! I also had two 8x10 photos of Italian architectural details  I purchased from a friend who had a backyard show a couple of years ago. I found the frames I intended to use but couldn't find the photos. Typical!


NOT QUITE 'AFTER'..BUT IT'S A START!
If you look at the Times article, the results the art hanger achieved were exactly the look I'm aiming for. In my post written in July, I attached some photos from the Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel catalogues. Those books, sent unsolicited if you've ever purchased anything there, are a great resource. I find them inspirational as well.

My look then will be eclectic. I have a smallish hand made and hand painted kite in a blue and white Asian design and another piece with my name written in Chinese characters both from a visit to the Chinese Scholars Garden here on Staten Island. When it was being constructed over 10 years ago, I was lucky to be invited by the newspaper I was working for at the time (The Staten Island Advance) for a private viewing and lunch at Sailor's Snug Harbor. I have those pieces in hand but they need some professional mounting. I'm going to take care of that tomorrow morning and will add those two pieces to my wall mosaic. Bottom line: only two pieces were hung today but I'm optimistic about getting this done soon!

Galette Update:
I tasted my Plum Galette late last night and I must say to tasted as good as it smelled and looked. I thought the brisee was light and flaky, the plums were sweet but not too. I will definitely try again maybe with apples but really the plums were delicious!

Tomorrow: I make Pasta Fagioli

No comments:

Post a Comment