Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hemming Jeans


We're leaving for vacation tomorrow so tonight is the perfect time to hem a new pair of jeans that I've had all summer. Procrastination is my middle name! 

I thought I'd do it as a tutorial because it really is quite easy and will save you $10-$15 at the tailor. 

Casual jeans that will be worn with flat shoes should break slightly over the front foot. 

If you plan to wear heels with your jeans the hem should be longer, about 1/4 inch off the floor in the back. Only the toe of your shoe or boot should be showing.  

  • You might need help with the pinning but once you have your measurement (mine needed a 5 and a half inch adjustment to the length) subtract a half inch (the existing hem of the jeans will add the half inch back). With a tape measure, mark the inches all around with a pen (or tailor's chalk if you have some).
  •  Make a fold along the pen line toward the stitching on the original hem, leaving the original stitching showing. 
  • Pin along the fold line.
  • Thread a needle and join along that line using a blind stitch. (You can, of course, use your sewing machine but I wanted to watch the Yankee game tonight so I decided to hand sew.) 
  • Press and trim folded denim. 

Tomorrow: We're leaving for vacation, so I investigate the best way to pack a suitcase



No comments:

Post a Comment