Friday, February 18, 2011

Fall Fashion 2011: An Amateur Fashion Wannabe Blogger (That'd Be Me) Spots Some Trends. Well, Maybe.

So as Fashion Week draws to a close I'll wrap up my very novice fashion reporting by calling out a few trends I think I spotted (from the comfort of a seat in my kitchen using a MacBook Pro) during the Mercedes-Benz Fall Fashion 2011 Week held at Lincoln Center in New York City.



Color
Black, black and more black for fall. No surprise there but as I mentioned the other day, I noticed a lot of blues in the shows I looked at. Isaac Mizrahi rounded out the week with some orange and yellow. But the darker shades prevailed as far as street clothing and most evening wear went. Yellow dress from Isaac Mizrahi is at right.
















Hems 
I thought most were longer arriving at knee length or just below. L.A.M.B had some really cute short skirts, unfortunately not for me, but I love the look. Mini from Gwen Stefani's L.A.M.B. is at left.


Silhouettes
I still see a trend toward chemise or flapper style dresses (a.k.a. the screen siren),  long or short, and wonder why it wasn't noted by other reviewers (I mean, really!!) . There are lots of free-form clothing being shown by designers like Proenza Schouler but I still love classic shapes. Take a look at Oscar de la Renta, he never disappoints. The dress at right from Alice + Olivia.


Headgear
A wide variety from cloche, Russian, fedoras and burka-styles were all over the runways. Perhaps our cold winter was instrumental in influencing this look? Insert detail from Oscar de la Renta.





Accessories
I had to go back and look for handbags which led me to believe the big bag look is over! There were a few larger bags but most were more reasonable in size or not shown at all. Lots of belts though, boots and booties. The belted look at left from Badgley Mischka.









Outerwear
I thought the coats were fantastic. The short cropped fur was in almost every collection as were capes or caplets. Furs came in black, white and vivid colors which makes them so much fun. A colorful combination from Luca Luca at left. Cape below, from Halston Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment