Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'm Stuck On You: A Valentine's Day Project You Can Make By Hand; Pincushions To Love and Cherish

Before I left my job, I was lucky enough to score a copy of Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts. It's a 400 page beautifully photographed and illustrated book that comes with a CD with printable full sized patterns, templates and easy instructions. Many of the projects interested me but one in particular seemed perfect to do while watching TV and I'm just getting around to it.

Making a pincushion involves a small bit of fabric, needle, thread, embroidery thread and scraps of  ribbon, felt, contrasting fabric or buttons. There is lots of room for creativity here, there is no wrong way to construct your pincushion.

The other day I mentioned some sites that I like. One of them was Schmaltzy Craftsy,  created by a woman who seems to have dedicated her life to making beautiful pincushions. OK, that's a bit dramatic but she certainly corners the market on the small fluff-filled pin depositories.

Here's my step-by-step for making a small pincushion, a perfect, thoughtful Valentine for a friend or family member. I mean seriously, who doesn't love a pincushion?




If you didn't take a minute to check out that website...here it is again.

http://schmaltzycraftsy.com/


Instructions:

  • Cut a rectangle out of fabric on the bias 3 inches x 6 inches.
  • Sew ends together on to form a ring.
  • With double thread, use a running stitch at ends to gather into a tight circle.
  • Stuff before closing one end, forming a ball.
  • Using six-ply embroidery thread to make 5 tucks, almost like the lines of a tomato, running the thread through the center of he ball. Secure with a tight knot.
  • Cut a small circle out of felt or use a button to cover raw end on bottom. Sew in place
  • Cut a larger circle of felt, make a rosette or use a large button or pom pom to cover top raw edge. Glue or sew in place

No comments:

Post a Comment