Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fall Fashion 2011: The Best of the Dress; 'Mad Men? Michelle? Who Do We Have To Thank For The Resurgence?

TRIAS
A couple of years ago AMC premiered the 60s drama 'Mad Men' and our fashion sense has never been the same. It became apparent after a few episodes that the dress, so popular back then, would be making a spectacular comeback banishing the Hillary pantsuits to the back of the closet, hopefully forever. I admit I had a love affair with separates, they seemed much more useful and interchangeable than a dress. My dresses were limited to a few black formal type frocks that were uninspired at best, predictable at worst.

Oscar de la Renta
Elie Tahari


























Then came actresses January Jones, Christina Hendricks and yes even the frumpy Elizabeth Moss ...and we were once again in love with the dress. Michelle Obama, during the President's campaign and now as First Lady has placed an exclamation point on the style donning sleeveless and sweatered varieties. I became hooked and looked to stores like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and Zara for some reasonable purchases. For more serious dresses Nordstroms, Lord & Taylor and Macy's ( but only the NYC store) can add some fabulous dress silhouettes to your wardrobe.

Tory Burch





Isaac Mizrahi
So as I went through the runway photos, I had my eye out for dresses that appeal to me. Most of the ones I've detailed in the last two days have been formal. Today I'll highlight daytime and shorter evening wear from some of the greatest designers. Hopefully a less pricey version of some of these will appear in my favorite stores.

To be sure there are lots of separates still on the runway but I think the dress has more appeal. This past Tuesday, I was watching the latest episode of 'The Good Wife". Alicia, the main character played expertly by Julianna Marguiles is usually outfitted in a lawerly suit. To see if she can shed light on a romantic voicemail left her by her boss Will, she decides to approach him.....wearing a dress....finally! The dress, by Michael Kors, was purchased at Saks Fifth Avenue.


Oscar de la Renta
Jason Wu

No comments:

Post a Comment