Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fall Fashion 2011: Dresses Ready For Their Closeup; The Return of the Screen Siren

Jason Wu
I haven't paid too much attention to this year's fall fashion shows being held in New York this week and last. Today was kind of a 'sick' day, me being a bit under the weather and my daughter being felled by a serious stomach virus. I decided to distract myself and take a look at what we'll be wearing (or not) come autumn.

Tracy Reese
A couple of years ago, the goddess dress was all the rage and with good reason: most women, should they need to be formally dressed, look great in a goddess dress. Last August, The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City had a major exhibition called American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity. Chemise or flapper style dresses took their place in the history of American female dress and I noticed a trend as I was scrolling through the fashion shows: the screen siren is back!

Actresses Rita Hayworth, Hedy Lamarr, Lizabeth Scott, Veronica Lake, Lauren Bacall, Jean Harlow, Gene Tierney, Lana Turner and Greta Garbo evoke sultry and sophisticated images of movies back in the 30s and 40s and fashion designers are showing siren-inspired dresses, long and short. for next fall during New York's Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Badgley Mischka, Jason Wu, Tracy Reese, Carolina Herrera, Monique Lhuillier have all signed onto the trend and of course the look is spectacular.

Embellishments, fringe, kicky bottoms and shimmery sheers falling easily from the neckline are reminiscent of the era. I easily found a few samples in my search today. All of the photos are from style.com and I consistently refer to that site for up-to-the-minute shows and analysis.

Badgley Mischka


Monique Lhuillier

No comments:

Post a Comment