Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Punxsutawney Phil, Staten Island Chuck: I Think I Love You; Spring Is In .....The Stores? Green Acres Is The Place To Be

What a difference a week makes: My weather beaten jockey
is looking a little more hopeful.
Back in October I was incensed (that might be a bit strong....maybe incredulous) that JC Penney's had Christmas decorations in their stores mid-October. So incredulous that I wrote a blog about it. Couldn't we just enjoy Halloween, I asked?

Earlier today I was in 'The Christmas Tree Shop'. Valentine's Day merchandise was difficult to find. St. Patrick's Day wares were in full display but what startled me was the amount of Easter, spring and yes, even patriotic summer products were in abundance throughout the store!

What surprised me most though was my reaction to rushing the winter season, somehow I am all for it!
Daffodils peek out from the warmer nether world.
Who isn't sick of winter at this point? All across our country this winter has been wicked, disrupting our lives, breaking our backs, causing accidents vehicular and personal. While I resented displacing autumn I was suddenly all for shoveling winter aside. 

When I left my house this morning I noticed a patch of grass on my front lawn which I hadn't seen since December 26th. It was green, a glorious green! I also noticed daffodil buds (probably not a good thing) peeking through the soil in a garden area nearby The stalwart jockey who stands guard at my front door was free and clear of snow. Perhaps I should remove the Christmas bow?

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's grass!
This is a short entry. I'm not going to get my hopes up only to have them dashed next week when a snow storm might once again blanket our area. But I do believe that the groundhogs might be right this year and I'm placing my faith in their expertise. 

I'm going to start planning my Fourth of July party tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment